The Last Magician
Steal the book.
Save the future.In modern day New York, magic is all but extinct. The remaining few who have an affinity for magic—the Mageus—live in the shadows, hiding who they are. Any Mageus who enters Manhattan becomes trapped by the Brink, a dark energy barrier that confines them to the island. Crossing it means losing their power—and often their lives.Esta is a talented thief, and she’s been raised to steal magical artifacts from the sinister Order that created the Brink. With her innate ability to manipulate time, Esta can pilfer from the past, collecting these artifacts before the Order even realizes she’s there. And all of Esta’s training has been for one final job: traveling back to 1902 to steal an ancient book containing the secrets of the Order—and the Brink—before the Magician can destroy it and doom the Mageus to a hopeless future.
But Old New York is a dangerous world ruled by ruthless gangs and secret societies, a world where the very air crackles with magic. Nothing is as it seems, including the Magician himself. And for Esta to save her future, she may have to betray everyone in the past.
Fun Facts about the Magic in The Last Magician
- People with the old magic are called Mageus, while those who do not have an affinity for magic are Sundren
- Magic exists in the spaces. Mageus manipulate the space between things—including the spaces between matter and molecules—to affect changes in the physical world.
- Natural magic is marked by warm energy. Sundren can’t sense the energy of magic, but other Mageus can.
- Just because you aren’t born with magic doesn’t mean you can’t get some! Through the study of alchemy, theurgy, and other occult arts, Sundren like the Order can develop skill in ritual magic.
- Ritual magic is stolen magic. It’s unnatural and is marked with a cold energy that warns Mageus away.
- All magic is tied together. To damage any one Mageus or steal any part of their power damages magic as a whole.
- Mageus have affinities as varied as fingerprints. An affinity might manifest stronger or weaker, specific or more general. But affinities can be honed and Mageus have to develop their skills with using the magic they’re naturally attuned to.
- Affinities usually line up with one of the following three categories: The Living, The Inert, The Spirit. The first two have to do with matter, while the third is more rare and has to do with the essence of a person or thing.
- Once, magic was much more prevalent in the world, but the Disenchantment eradicated most of it, and by the time the book opens, Mageus (and magic in general) are all but extinct.
- The Disenchantment was a series of witch hunts, inquisitions, and other campaigns that sought to eradicate natural magic in the world and replace it with science and reason. It was especially predominant in Europe and Asia, though it spread around the globe as superstitions died and the Enlightenment took hold.
- Magic is linked to place and cultural memory in the book. As people migrated, they could take their magic with them, but as they lost the sense of place and culture, the magic would eventually fade away over time and generations.